HM Prison Geelong was a maximum security Australia prison located on the corner of Myers Street and Swanston Street in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. The prison was built in stages from 1849 to 1864. Its panopticon design is based on Pentonville Prison in England. The prison was officially closed in 1991 and prisoners were moved to the newly built HM Prison Barwon in Lara.
Robe, South Australia.
Officially opened in 1861, the complex included a substantial stone building with four holding cells, a receiving yard and a keeper's residence.
Robe's gaol was closed permanently in 1881 because there were not enough prisoners to justify keeping it open. The building gradually fell into disrepair. In a process that started before the 1940s, most of it was demolished and used as road rubble. Restoration work in 1995 helped rebuild the lower part of the walls, creating a popular historic site to visit.
Old log gaol, Harrow, Victoria.
Melrose, South Australia.
Old police cell, Underbool, Victoria.
Redruth Gaol, Burra, South Australia.
Old Cavendish Gaol, Victoria.
The original bluestone gaol was erected in 1862 at the cost of 640 pounds. The first inmate was housed on 3rd October 1862, with PC Kennedy the first watchhouse keeper. The old police residence once stood on this site but was removed when the highway was widened.
Old Heywood Gaol, Victoria.
Round House, Perth, Western Australia.
The Round House was the first permanent building built in the Swan River Colony. Built in late 1830 and opened in 1831, it is the oldest building still standing in Western Australia.
It was designed by Henry WIlley Reveley, with construction commenced in 1830 and was completed on 18 January 1831.
Intended as a prison, it had eight cells and a jailer's residence, all of which opened onto a central courtyard. The design was based on the Panopticon, a kind of prison designed by philosopher Jeremy Bentham.