SAVINGS BANK
The Savings Bank of South Australia building is located on the corner of Dawson Street and Donald Street.
The Savings Bank of South Australia commenced operating in Strathalbyn in April 1912, in rental premises on Albyn Terrace. In July 1916, the land at Dawson Street was purchased, but tenders for the new building were not called until 13 years later in September 1929.
The contractor was Mr. V.A. Trenouth of Ashford, and the architect was Mr. A.S. Conrad fo Adelaide. The building was completed in November 1930 and was officially opened on the 17th day of December 1930. (lester, firth & murton n.d.)
The contractor was Mr. V.A. Trenouth of Ashford, and the architect was Mr. A.S. Conrad fo Adelaide. The building was completed in November 1930 and was officially opened on the 17th day of December 1930. (lester, firth & murton n.d.)
References.
- lester firth & murton pty ltd, n.d. Strathalbyn Conservation Study