ORIGINAL STRATHALBYN CEMETERY
The original site of the Strathalbyn Cemetery was in Colman Terrace. The Presbyterian Church purchased a one-acre block on Colman Terrace at a cost of £5, following a road being placed through the church's cemetery.
This became known as the Pioneer's Cemetery. (Down by the Riverside 2017)
Due to the growth of the town of Strathalbyn, a new Cemetery was established on Parker Avenue in October 1856.
Sadly, the old headstones in the Pioneer Cemetery became badly affected by the weather and crumbled. (Down by the Riverside 2017)
Sadly, the old headstones in the Pioneer Cemetery became badly affected by the weather and crumbled. (Down by the Riverside 2017)
In the Southern Argus in January 1928, it was reported that only one headstone had legible engraved characters. (Strathalbyn's Early Cem 2026)
In February 1939, some remaining headstones were relocated from the Pioneer's Cemetery to the new Cemetery. However, only two had legible inscriptions.
They were the headstone of Elizabeth Noye, who died in January 1851, and the headstone of the wife & 2 children of William Colman, who died between 1852 and 1855. (Down by the Riverside 2017)
They were the headstone of Elizabeth Noye, who died in January 1851, and the headstone of the wife & 2 children of William Colman, who died between 1852 and 1855. (Down by the Riverside 2017)
A monument can be found in Colman Terrace to commemorate the site of the old Pioneer Cemetery.
References.
- 'Down by the Riverside' 2017
- Strathalbyn's Early Cemetery (2026). Nla.Gov.Au. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/97201203?searchterm=strathalbyn%20cemetery [Accessed 26 Jul 2026]