GAS WORKS
The old gasworks are located on South Terrace, Strathalbyn.
In November 1868, the Provincial Gas Company had accepted the tender of Mr R.C. Trenouth to construct the gas works on South Terrace.
Gas lamps were installed at the Strathalbyn Post Office in August 1870. By November 1870, the sale of the first coal tar from the gas works took place.
In May 1875, the Corporation called for tenders for the erection of six gas lamps in the streets. Mr. James Kennedy secured the contract, and the lamps were installed and first operated on the 28th day of June 1875.
In 1917, the Gas Company closed its operation at Strathalbyn. (lester, firth & murton n.d.)
Gas lamps were installed at the Strathalbyn Post Office in August 1870. By November 1870, the sale of the first coal tar from the gas works took place.
In May 1875, the Corporation called for tenders for the erection of six gas lamps in the streets. Mr. James Kennedy secured the contract, and the lamps were installed and first operated on the 28th day of June 1875.
In 1917, the Gas Company closed its operation at Strathalbyn. (lester, firth & murton n.d.)
References.
- lester firth & murton pty ltd, n.d. Strathalbyn Conservation Study