FORMER SCHOOL
The former school building is located on Colman Terrace.
In 1875 and 1876, two schools operated in Strathalbyn. In February 1878, Strathalbyn residents met to discuss a public school. A subsequent approach was made to the Council of Education to construct a public school and teacher's residence. (lester, firth & murton n.d.)
This suggestion was approved and in January 1879, the tender of Mr J. Ricards of Willunga was accepted. By the end of 1879 the school and teacher's house had been completed. The school was opened on the 22nd day of January 1880 with 159 students. The first headmaster was Mr. W.J. Kennedy, who was formerly of the Hindmarsh School. Maria Downing was his assistant teacher. (lester, firth & murton n.d.)
References.
- lester firth & murton pty ltd, n.d. Strathalbyn Conservation Study